History of Chumash Trail at Chumash Park


The History of Chumash Trail and Chumash Park

The Chumash People lived in Simi Valley as long as 10,000-13,000 years ago up until the early 1800s.

Two Chumash settlements existed in Simi Valley. These villages were named Shimiji (or Shimiyi) and Ta’apu. A third nearby settlement called Kimishax was also located nearer present-day Moorpark. It is believed that the name of the Chumash Indian Village “Shimiji” is the origin of the City’s name. Ta’apu is the origin of the names of Tapo Street and Tapo Canyon. In 1795, San José de Nuestra Señora de Altagracia y Simí was granted to Santiago Pico, and with the arrival of the Spanish the Chumash Era came to an end. 

There are many Chumash sites in Simi Valley, including many located in our Parks.  The Chumash people used to walk on trails near Chumash Park and Trail, and seek shelter under many of the rock structures in the area.  At Chumash Park you'll find interpretive signage with more information about the Chumash People.

Chumash Park is located at 3200 Flanagan Dr., Simi Valley, CA 93063

Learn more information about the amenities at Chumash Park and Chumash Trail.

Learn more information about Chumash History on the Simi Valley Historical Society's Website.